Let’s keep it real…it’s hard enough to follow a diet ANY part of the year, but it’s especially hard to count calories during one of the most festive celebrations, Mardi Gras! With all those tempting Étouffées and beignets, Mardi Gras is a total planned cheat day. So keep your cool and save room in your calorie budget for a Hurricane or two…or five! Check out this “Not-so-Fat” Fat Tuesday dish: Spicy Red Beans & Quinoa!
Red Beans are one of my favorite ingredients. Rich in antioxidants and packed with minerals, antioxidants, fiber and protein, these hearty legumes will not only keep you full; they may even decrease the risk of heart disease and diabetes! Now THAT is a reason to be festive. Oh, and subbing rice for quinoa gives this dish a great nutty texture and leaves you PACKED full of nutrients! So let the good times roll and #ChewRight, y’all!
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (8 oz) container pre-chopped onion, bell pepper, and celery mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt-free Creole seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 fresh jalapeno, roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups hot cooked Quinoa
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion mix to pan; sauté 3-4 minutes.
- Add Creole seasoning and garlic to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Mash beans with a fork. Add beans, water, jalapeno, and tomatoes to pan; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 8-10 minutes
- Remove from heat; stir in pepper. Serve with Quinoa