So we all love grilled cheese, and it’s so easy to make, even a caveman can do it! But all too often, we get trapped in the mundane, and revert back to the same old boring sandwich that we’ve eaten all our lives. Sure, there is nothing like the familiar and yummy taste of a classic traditional grilled cheese (in FACT, that sounds mighty good right about now) but TODAY, we are taking a walk on the wild side with this delicious melt-in-your-mouth, buttery, cheesy Mushroom and Kale Grilled Cheese!!! Mmmmm, just the very thought of it makes my mouth water. In this recipe, melty, gooey Fontina cheese blankets layers of juicy mushroom and kale, with a sprinkle of crushed red pepper for a spicy kick. Basically, this is everything I love… grilled between two slices of sourdough bread! It’s a classy upgrade from the usual g.c., and is sure to impress. Hands down, this is definitely a restaurant quality sandwich. So get that skillet sizzlin’, and get ready to serve up the best grilled cheese of your life!
1 1/2 cups fontina cheese (shredded)
2 cups – 8 oz of baby bella mushrooms (I used the whole package; it’s up to you!)
1 cup kale (chopped)
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp shallots, minced
3 tbsp of butter (divided)
Tsp thyme or Italian seasoning
Sprinkle of red pepper flakes
Salt, to taste
- Add tbsp of butter to pan and allow to melt and sizzle over medium heat
- Add mushrooms and saute until brown
- Add shallots and cook until almost translucent
- Add garlic and cook until you notice the shallots are fully translucent
- Add kale and cook until softened
- Season with salt (to taste), red pepper flakes and thyme (or Italian seasoning)… thyme is best, if you have it!
- Remove the mushroom kale mixture from the pan and set aside
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter into the pan and allow to melt and sizzle
- Meanwhile, sprinkle half of the Fontina cheese on top of one slice of bread, then top with the mushroom kale mixture. Sprinkle the second half of the cheese on top, and place another slice of bread on top of that.
- Place your sandwich into the sizzling butter. Cook until golden brown, then flip, and repeat.
- Serve, and enjoy!
TIPS: Some interesting things I might try next time is to maybe add sundried tomatoes and/or real bacon bits. Mmmmm… this sandwich can be remixed in so many ways! Get creative if you’d like, or just stick to the original, delectable recipe. It’s really perfect just the way it is! (No Bruno). You’re probably not going to find shredded Fontina readily available, but if you go to the deli and ask for a block about an inch thick, you can shred it at home!
Also, some backstory to this grilled cheese experience. Lots of recipes require that you butter the bread instead of the skillet. This did not work out for me; the bread just stuck to the pan and had to be scraped up. Straight into the skillet works for me. Also, the Gods of Grilled Cheese Heaven initially had some serious reservations about me making this tasty sammich, as the electricity went out as soon as I was about to begin cooking… it sucked. But in the end, I was able to make it and it was all worth the wait! Enjoy!